Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Commuting and being a tourist

I grabbed a ride with a friend to the bar and ended up leaving my truck at work. The next day I needed to get to work, so I ended up commuting on my road bike. I love riding the road bike and need to do it more often. It's amazing how efficient a super light carbon road bike can be. It's great to start your day off with a 40 mile ride! (I don't live 40 miles from work, but since I was riding, I took the long way).
Diamondback Podium 6. This is much nicer than my other vehicle options!

The PNW has some really nice areas for road riding. I like going mid week as the bike paths are empty and most of the side streets are dead. It was a little cold out, but some knee and arm warmers seemed to do the trick. I think the best part about riding my road bike is the only road jersey I have anymore is one from the shop I used to work at in North Dakota. I'm planning on heading back home in July and can't wait to go ride the Maah Daah Hey in Medora. If you're ever in the Midwest and want a great XC ride, check out Dakota Cyclery for guided tours and a rad little shop.
Proving I was there!

Traveling this summer is going to be expensive. I just put $100 dollars worth of Diesel in the van yesterday. It barely filled half a tank. Ouch. I did seal the windows on the rabbit though, so hopefully some of her electrical gremlins will go away now that water won't be gushing into the fuse block.
$4.50 a gallon is brutal.

The last part of this update is that my in-laws are here for a few days. It's been really fun having them out here. Everytime we have friends in town, we do a few more tourist things in the area. I've been to Pikes Place Market before, but we've never bought anything. We decided to buy some seafood from the fish throwers. $150 dollars worth of Alaskan King Crab and fresh salmon was brought home. It was by far the most expensive home cooked meal I've ever had, but it was worth every penny. Ruth and Liz prepared the food perfectly and my only complaint was that the meal ended.
The first Starbucks.
The fish market.

Delicious!
 I picked up some parts for the van, I'm excited to get a bed back in it along with some other cool things soon. A little practice time this weekend and then racing starts in a week and a half! Time to get the bikes ready for the season! 

-KT

No comments:

Post a Comment