Thursday, November 17, 2011

Typical Morning Ride - Grand Ridge

A map of Grand Ridge. It's my usual morning ride.
Most mornings, I am lucky enough to get to ride. I spend most of my time on my "XC" bike. (I refer to almost anything with a front derailleur as "XC") In my case, it's my Diamondback Mission Pro.  I can ride from my front door to a really fun trail called Grand Ridge. It's a 7 mile out and back trail that climbs 1100' up and over Grand Ridge in each direction. The trail connects the Duthie Hill MTB park to exit 18 on I-90. It's not technical, but it is a great leg and lung workout. Check out Evergreen MTB - Grand Ridge for more details.

Rylie enjoying the leaves when they were covering the trail.
After last nights "wind storm" (or "slight breeze" for anyone reading this back in North Dakota) I was greated with a trail covered in big maple leaves. I was shocked to find King County out about half way through the trail with a crew and leaf blowers clearing the trail! It was great to see that the county was maintaining the trail as quickly as they were after last nights wind.
And what the trail looked like a little further down. This was much more fun to ride!
The other project happening at Grand Ridge is the boardwalk being built by the Washington Trails Association at the north end of the trail. The trail crosses a bog that is almost impassible in the winter. WTA and King County have been working on a boardwalk to make the trail more user friendly all year long. The last section is nearing completion and it will be great to finally be able to ride across the bog without getting wet!
The board walk over the worst part of the bog. (In progress, obviously)

The groundwork below the boardwalk.
The completed portion of the boardwalk.
As the only member of my family without any sort of glasses or contacts, I've started to try and take better care of my eyes. I was getting tired of mud and dirt being flung into my eyes on wet XC rides. I called Spy Optics and got a hold of a pair of their new performance Alpha glasses. These things are great. Interchangeable polarized lenses, 100% UV A, B and C protection, lightweight and very strong, and inexpensive (compared to other eye wear). MSRP is 119.00. Spy Optic - Alpha
They look good too!
I can't believe I haven't been riding with eye protection on XC rides. It really makes a difference, and you only have two eyes!

-KT

No comments:

Post a Comment