Wednesday, July 11, 2012

All Gravity Series # 2 - Silver Mt

After injuring my shoulder at Mt Hood, I didn't think I was going to be able to go to Silver. I had my doctors appointment though, and he said I'll have to have surgery in the winter, and that I should just take some Ibuprofen and try racing. Luckily, Silver is a mellow course, so last minute we decided to load up the rig and head east to Idaho!
The shoulder seemed to hold up! Modern medicine is amazing!

We ended up arriving at Silver Mt on Friday evening. I've never shown up that early and was blown away by how empty the parking lot appeared! I've always rolled in Saturday morning to this race, so this was a little shocking. Slowly though, the lot started filling up as all of the RV's and trucks pulled in.
Before everyone else arrived. Anf took this photo while the van was blasting Hannah Montana. True story.

We grabbed the best spot in the house and set up camp. Charlie and I had some work to do. We just received our new Gravity Ice Grey components and were excited to put them on our bikes.
New Ice Grey Gravity parts back from their maiden voyage. They look and work great!

Thumbs up on the new parts!
Silver is REALLY long. It's 15+ minutes top to bottom. There are races on both Saturday and Sunday. You get 2 practice runs and then have to race Saturday's course. After the race you can get a run or two on Sunday's course. Luckily, this year, the courses were on the same route, with Saturday being the upper part of the mountain, and Sunday being the lower part. This allowed you to get more practice with every run, which was great!
Coming down the last few jumps.

After our two practice runs on Saturday, we headed up for the race run. I wasn't expecting much and had a mediocre run. I felt like I wasn't carrying good speed or pedaling where I needed to be, but I still managed to edge out Charlie for the win. I couldn't complain at that point. Having Diamondback go 1&2 is always a great thing!
How to win at podiums!
Fastest family in the NW!
 We partied in the water park on Saturday and celebrated with some big margaritas! I wasn't feeling the greatest on Sunday, but still managed to get to the top of the hill in time for my race run. I had a bunch of mistakes and nearly lost it in the high speed section, but managed to hang on. This time Charlie edged me out and took the win. We couldn't have planned it better. 1&2 both days!
Big thanks to Josh Tofsrud for running this whole show.

Sunday's podium.

Champagne is fun.

It is also important to note, Ruth did the best out of any of us for the weekend, she won her class both days! She's starting to get really fast. She blew a bunch of spokes in her rear wheel on Sunday, but still made it down with a win! I'm curious to see how the overall points are looking!
Ruthie winning her class!
Double medals doing her best impression of me.
 Silver was great, but Ruth and I were both looking forward to heading home to North Dakota for the 4th of July!

-KT

No comments:

Post a Comment