Wednesday, July 11, 2012

North Dakota!

I grew up in Bismarck North Dakota. All I wanted to do my entire life was leave that state. Now that I've done it, I can't wait to go back home. I haven't been home for 3 years, so when the opportunity came for Ruth and I to head home for the 4th of July, we jumped on it!
Looking out the van window on the drive home. Flat fields and lots of bugs!
I spent most of the week at Ruth's lake cabin soaking up the sun and the water with a beer in my hand. There is no cell service and it's AMAZING! I had such a great time!

I managed to sneak away for one afternoon and head to Bismarck to hang out with my best friend Tyler Fode. I got to town while he was still working, so I headed over to my old local XC trail, Pioneer Park. I just did one lap, but was laughing at how much fun it was. The last time I rode that trail was 8 years ago. I've improved a little on a bike since then. I had a great time smashing corners and just ripping the old trail!
The view from the top of Pioneer Park looking south
and looking north.
 The views of the Missouri are beautiful and the weather was perfect. I grabbed dinner and a few beers with Tyler before heading back to the lake for the rest of the week.

On the way back west, we decided to stop in Medora North Dakota and meet up with the bike shop I used to work at, Dakota Cyclery. It's always a pleasure to see Jennifer and Loren, who are like a second family to me. We were able to get Jen and Loren away from the shop for a few minutes to grab some food. It was great to catch up with old friends and hopefully it won't be long until we can get back there!
We had a great time!
Full XC mode!

Ruthie sweltering in the heat! Surprisingly, a desert in July is hot!

It's open range here and we had to share the trail.
 Ruth and I rode a new section of the Maah Daah Hey trail. The MDH is a 100 mile singletrack trail connecting the north and south units of Theodore Roosevelt National Park in the Badlands of North Dakota. Most of the state is prairie fields, but there is this amazing area in the western part with beautiful sandstone butte formations formed by the Little Missouri river. They just opened a new trail segment south of the south unit that extends the trail even further and we were told we had to check it out.
Map of the MDH. The section we rode, starts at Sully Creek and heads south.

Loren shuttled us to the south end and we rode back to town. It was a great ride! The trail was fun and flowy with lots of neat exposure sections. Nothing technical, but just a great ride! If you are ever in the area, make time to ride there and check out www.DakotaCyclery.com for more info and guided and supported tours!
Most people wouldn't believe this is North Dakota, but it is!
 
-KT

No comments:

Post a Comment