Friday, December 23, 2011

Site changes, Tokul morning ride, Bike Tracks app

As you might have noticed, there have been some changes to www.KyleThomasBikes.com  I've added a new navigation toolbar with links to results, media, race schedule etc. It's still a work in progress, but it should be finished soon!
Flowtron, one of the most fun trails in the area. It loops up and down the walls of this gully the whole way down.


Anyways, I have been riding Grand Ridge and Duthie quite a bit lately and was looking for a change of pace. I'm really spoiled living as close as I do to the trails, so the thought of driving a whole 10 minutes to somewhere farther away never really crosses my mind. I decided this morning that I should venture out! I drove out to Tokul this morning. Tokul is a trail network on private land that really is the definition of all-mountain riding. Most of the trails involve pedalling up a logging road and having a fun freeride trail to the bottom.

Logging starting soon.
Part of Tokul is set to be logged soon, so I figured I would get a few laps in before the destruction. It's always sad to see a trail system get logged, but it creates new fun trails and allows the usual builders to focus their efforts elsewhere.
This is at the start of the trail. It's almost as if there was some magical liquid that made people build trails!
I normally bring my iphone with me when I ride. I throw it in my camelbak in case of emergencies and as a clock. I found a cool app a few weeks ago that I've really come to like. It's called Bike Tracks and it does mapping, average speed, max speed, elevation gain, elapsed time etc. It also records your information to compare training rides. You can make notes of the type of ride, the trail conditions, the weather etc. If you have an iphone and ride bike, I highly recommend it. Check out Bike Tracks via itunes
Screen shot of the app.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

-KT

No comments:

Post a Comment