Monday, January 23, 2012

First ride on the KX!

3 bikes in the back of the van. I've been browsing the motovan/toy hauler forum at ThumperTalk.com.  I've got some great ideas for the van when we re-do the interior this summer.

I had been praying for rain all week long to help melt the snow. The weather looked like it would be nice enough to allow some trail riding out at Belfair WA in the Tahuya state forest. I met up with Tyler Gilsdorf and Michael Dill on Sunday morning, loaded the bikes in the van, and headed out!
This is what the weather looked like upon arrival. The place was ours!

We got to the parking lot right as the rain turned to snow. We unloaded the bikes and gassed them up while debating whether this ride was a good idea or a great one!
The snow wasn't deep and my bike did great!

The trails had some snow in the open parts, but were pretty good in the trees. We never got stuck and had a blast riding! I was at Sports Authority on Saturday and walked through the hunting/fishing department. I bought a pair of neoprene ice fishing gloves to wear. They were $20 and have great dexterity in the fingers and are completely waterproof. My hands were dry and warm all day! If you're riding in the winter, I really recommend getting a pair. Now I just need to figure out how to waterproof my boots!
Margaritas!

Once we were done, we stopped in Belfair at a good little Mexican restaurant. If you're in town, check out El Sombrero. They had a delicious buffet and good margaritas!
Heading back after the ride. Bonus points for anyone who can guess what movie is playing.

Before the ride, I grabbed my only DOT approved helmet. It's a Kali Aatma that I've had for a few years. I had broken the visor a long time ago and lost the hardware for it. I wasn't going to wear a visor-less helmet, so I grabbed a piece of scrap 0.032" 2024-T3 Clad aluminum sheet from work and made a visor using aviation shears. I made the angle adjustable using aircraft grade Velcro and it worked great!
My handy work!
The rest of the weekend was fun too. I hung out with Ruth on Saturday and we went out to the 2 year anniversary of Big Tree Bikes on Saturday night. It was fun to see everyone and we even attempted to give Billy Lewis a Sharpie tramp stamp.
Ruth enjoying the night. Jerry not so much...
Billy wouldn't hold still for his tattoo.
Until next time!

-KT

3 comments:

  1. I'll be sure to try our El Sombrero, it looks fun in there. Actually, El Sombrero had me at Margarita. Anyhow, I read you're planning to customize your van to turn it to a toy hauler, well my parents bought these awesome parts and accessories from ToyHauler Parts for their RV trailer. They offer quality products for an affordable price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great collection of shotguns at British shooting show. pastel leather jacket

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was not first article by this author as I always found him as a talented author. goku drip puffer jacket

    ReplyDelete