Sunday, January 26, 2014

Crashing and hockey

I never really work on my Mission. It's a do-it-all bike that gets ridden hard and put away wet. All it usually takes is a little chain lube every now and then and she's good to go. I finally got to the point this weekend where I had to do some maintenance. I'd broken enough spokes that the wheel was hitting the frame, so it was time to build a new wheel.
New rim, fresh logos! 
After the wheel build, I changed up the suspension, lubed everything, checked tire pressures, etc. The bike was feeling ready to roll! As with all the rides lately, I headed back to Tokul. I met up with some of the guys from Evil-bikes and we went up the trail. Dropping in for the first run, I told myself I was going to hit this awkward gap in the trail. I came around the corner, hit the lip, and just cased the landing enough to get bucked off the trail right into a big hole. Luckily, my face stopped my helmet from getting scratched.
Right after the crash. I wasn't quite sure what I had done at this point.
Getting cleaned up about 30 minutes later.
So now I feel concussed, sore, etc, but we had plans tonight. We were going to watch a hockey game with some of Ruth's coworkers. One of her coworkers parents own the Kelowna Rockets, so we went along to cheer then on. I didn't realize they were playing the local team, the Seattle Thunderbirds. I felt like a traitor for cheering for a Canadian team! But in the true spirit of this country, the Americans won!
Having a black eye and a fat lip made me fit right in at the hockey game.
I'm probably off the bike for a day or two to let my face heal up. It's cleaned up pretty well. I have a big gash in my lip and a black eye, but that's about it. I'll post an updated photo if the black eye looks nasty in the morning. Hopefully the next ride goes a little better!

No comments:

Post a Comment