Thursday, June 9, 2011

Fantasy Downhill

Stereotypical American male.
 I am not a fan of American football. I think it's a dumb sport and our public school system puts too much emphasis on it and too much money into it. Our society cares too much about it, and the typical American male is almost expected to be a fan these days. Maybe I'm jaded that I was bad at it growing up, maybe I dislike it because schools would rather spend money on after school sports than the physics department, but either way, I'm not a fan.

One of the things I've never understood about football, were the people who got so wrapped up in fantasy football. If you've never been apart of it, you basically pick your dream team and geek out over statistics with your friends and score points based on your players performances throughout the season. To me, this seems like the biggest waste of time in a persons life and I couldn't help but poke fun at those guys.
Pretty much my thoughts on the the subject.
I now get to shove my foot in my mouth, as I have found a great new way to waste time. Dirt Magazine is hosting a world cup Fantasy Downhill league. Last year was the first time it was put on and I made a team and they all crashed out and I finished almost dead last. This year, I did my research, picked my riders carefully and am currently in 6th place out of the 5000 people playing. Granted, we're only two races into the season with the third round in Leogang Austria this weekend, so a lot can still happen.
Team Bobby Stenson is killing it!

The best part is that you can form mini-leagues with your friends and compete against other friend groups. In our little group of five, we have 3 people in the top 8 and all of us are in the top 25. Our mini-league is smashing the competition. So, even if I can't win a World Cup, I have proof that I can pick those who can!

-KT

No comments:

Post a Comment