Friday, June 17, 2011

Fluidride coaching clinic

Fluidride Coach and the newest member of Team Diamondback.

I just got back from a morning coaching session with Simon Lawton from Fluidride. Simon is a NW local mountain bike coach who used to race pro downhill and now coaches full time. He's been telling me for the last two years that I was doing some funny things in my corners and he wanted to help me fix them.
The orange cones came out for some basic cornering drills.

Simon is now on Diamondback and I figured this would be a great time to finally take him up on his coaching offer. I went into it with an open mind, but in the back of my head I couldn't help but think "I'm fast, I know I'm fast, what can he possible teach me?" After 15 minutes I was blown away by how many things I was doing wrong. Simon films you riding and you get to see yourself on camera, which really helps show you what you're doing wrong. I can't express how much faster I feel on my corners after today. I learned what I was doing wrong, why I was doing it wrong, and how it was affecting my riding. The before and after laps were all of the proof I needed to know this was a morning well spent. Hopefully this is what I need in my riding to bring me up to the next level.
Reviewing video of my successes and failures

I can't wait to get out to Silver Mt this weekend for the 2nd round of the All Gravity Series. The course is pedally, with a lot of turns. This will be the perfect place to practice my new found skills.On a side note, I finished the Mission project last night and rode it this morning. I just want to say, it worked and it's sick! I don't have time to write that post now, but it will be up soon.

More on this later...

-KT

No comments:

Post a Comment